Cumming Says Spider-Man on Broadway Will Be Delayed, Spider-Man 4 Gets Reboot and New Release Date

Spider-Man

This really isn’t much of a surprise to anyone, but Alan Cumming, who is one of the stars of the upcoming Bono/Edge penned musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, confirmed at a recent Times Talks event that the production would be significantly delayed.

Previews were scheduled to begin next month, but speaking at a TimesTalk event, Mr. Cumming said: “No one’s going to be there that day. We’re just waiting.” He said the show had hit “an iceberg of financial ruin” last year when producers could not raise enough money for the show, which is expected to cost upwards of $50 million. He said the producers should have taken down posters in the theater district that suggest the show is opening soon… [NYTimes.com]

Up until recently, the show’s website said that previews were to begin on Feb 25, 2010, but it now just reads “Coming To Broadway”. Advance tickets are still available on Ticketmaster.com for the Feb 25 start date, but the American Express early on sale has been extended to Mar 31, 2010.

In other Spidey news, Sony decided that it will reboot the movie franchise after director Sam Raimi and actor Tobey Maguire announced that they would not be returning for Spider-Man 4. (Surely, there were all sort of politics at play at play here and you can find some of that information in Nikki Finke‘s article for Deadline Hollywood Daily.)

The 34-year-old actor and “Spider-Man” director Sam Raimi will not be returning to the superhero franchise next year. Instead, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced Monday that a new “Spider-Man” film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on Peter Parker in high school would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team. [Yahoo! Movies]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *